The Dulwich Hamlet Supporters’ Trust have written to Southwark Council in response to their consultation on Greendale Fields – the land behind the current Champion Hill Stadium.
The letter states that the Trust’s main concerns with the Council’s report are that:
– there is a lack of reference to the football club as being anything other than tenants with an expiring lease; and
– the Council’s conclusion (page 32) does not give suffcient due consideration to its own ‘open space’ objectives.
We ask that:
– Southwark Council acknowledges formally that the future of the football club is as important as improving the quality of the surrounding open space.
– Southwark Council acknowledges formally that locating the football club wholly or partially on the site of the current astroturf pitch could address several of the Council’s own open space objectives.
– as one of the largest community bodies in the local area, DHST be included as a stakeholder going forward.
– the two landowners discuss and agree an approach that works for the football club, local residents and the wider community.